Listen to the Sermon:
OUR SAVIOR’S ENCOURAGEMENT
May 26, 2019
Acts 14:8-18; Psalm 67; John 14:21-29
THIS IS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
- Memorial Day is unique to our nation.
- It is also unique to our Christian faith…
- John 15:13,14, “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
DISCIPLES IN NEED OF ENCOURAGEMENT
Every weekend for we Christians is a Memorial Day weekend. We remember and draw strength from Jesus’ sacrificial love for us.
- He laid down his life for us, his friends
Jesus spoke these words just hours before the greatest event in world history. THE CRUCIFIXION. To the Eleven…
- Understandably, disciples were upset. Jesus begins, “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God. Believe also in me.”
THEN THIS IS MORE THEN A MEMORIAL..RESURRECTION
- He continues: “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
GOD’S SPECIAL LOVE FOR HIS OWN
- The gifts he is promising here are not given to the world.
- God’s gift to the world is John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that all who believe…”
- But here is a gift God reserves for His own:
- “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.”
- 26, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
- 21, “Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”
- Verse 15: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”
- Verse 21: “Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me.”
- Verse 23: “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word.”
- Verse 24: “Whoever does not love me does not keep my words.”
THIS TELLS US:
- God doesn’t legislate behavior. He inspires it.
What are the commandments we are to keep?
- “Receive me” (John 1:12).
- “Follow me” (John 1:43).
- Get up, crippled man (John 5:8).
- Rise from the dead, Lazarus (John 11:43)!
- “Believe in the light” (John 12:36).
- “Believe in God” (John 14:1).
- “Believe me” (John 14:11).
- “Abide in me” (John 15:4).
- “Ask whatever you wish” (15:7).
- “Abide in my love” (John 15:9).
- “Receive the Holy Spirit” (John 20:22).
The commandments of Jesus are: receive, believe, ask, abide
HIS SHALOM HIS PEACE
- 27, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”